Whether they’re born or bred, or put down roots in our beloved county, Sussex is full of famous celebrities who’ve either made their start or got involved in our community - each week we take a look at one of these fascinating figures…
Robert Smith, the enigmatic frontman of The Cure and an influential figure in the world of alternative rock, has captured the hearts of music lovers around the globe. While many Sussex residents are familiar with his distinctive voice and unique style from his roots in the north of the county, there are some lesser-known and intriguing facts about this talented musician. Here's six facts you might not know about the unique rock artist:
1. Sussex Roots: Born and raised in Sussex, Robert Smith has deep connections to our county. Growing up in Crawley, he found inspiration in the local music scene (especially in Brighton), laying the foundation for his iconic career. Sussex residents can proudly claim him as a hometown hero, celebrating his success as a local talent.
2. Musical Innovator: Robert Smith is celebrated for his innovative approach to music. As the lead vocalist and guitarist of The Cure for over 40 years, he has pushed the boundaries of alternative rock, creating a distinctive sound characterized by atmospheric melodies and introspective lyrics. He now continues to front the band at music festivals around the world.
3. Songwriting Genius: Smith's talent as a songwriter has been pivotal in The Cure's success. He has penned numerous iconic songs, such as "Lovesong," "Friday I'm in Love," and "Just Like Heaven," that have resonated with audiences for decades and emulate the band's gothic vibe.
4. Influence on Fashion and Style: Smith's distinctive style has left an indelible mark on the world of fashion. His signature tousled hair, smudged lipstick, and penchant for all-black attire have become iconic symbols of alternative fashion. Sussex fashion enthusiasts have drawn much inspiration from his unique and unapologetic sense of style over the years, celebrating his influence on the local fashion scene (again, especially in Brighton).
5. Enduring Musical Legacy: Robert Smith's musical legacy extends far beyond his contributions to The Cure. His collaborations with other artists, such as Siouxsie and the Banshees and Crystal Castles, have showcased his versatility and talent.
6. Soundtrack Success: In addition to his achievements with The Cure, Smith has made a mark in the world of film soundtracks. He has contributed his musical talents to several movie soundtracks, including "The Crow," "The X-Files," and "Twilight." The music of this local legend has enhanced the cinematic experiences of audiences around the world, showcasing his versatility and ability to create atmospheric compositions that resonate with the emotions on screen.