Make the most of summers berries with this delectable recipe by Adele Trathan, perfect with a dollop of fresh cream or ice cream!
For the pastry:
- 225g (8oz) cold unsalted butter chopped into small pieces
- 350g (12oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
For the filling:
- 800g (1lb 12oz) of berries such as strawberries, raspberries, cherries or blueberries
- 100g (3½oz) sugar
- 2 tbsp of cornflour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg white (for glazing)
- 1 tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- Put the flour, butter, icing sugar and salt in a food processor and blitz into crumbs. Combine the yolk with 1tbsp cold water, then add to the processor and pulse until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into two, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least one hour or, better still, overnight.
- Heat oven to 190C (170C fan/375F/gas mark 5). Roll out one half of the pastry, then butter an 8” pie dish and press in the pastry topped with a sheet of baking paper and baking beans. Bake blind for 30 mins. Remove the paper and beans. Mix the berries, sugar and pour the mixture into your baked pie base.
- Roll out the second batch of pastry and top the pie with it, trimming to fit, and using a fork to seal the edge, use a sharp knife to create a few slits to allow steam to escape. Alternatively, cut the pastry into long strips and lay diagonally to create a lattice effect top. Brush the pastry with the whisked egg white before topping with sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes until crust is golden. Leave to cool as the filling will be extremely hot!