As Halloween approaches and children start to carve their creative works of art, Adele Trathan demonstrates with three very different recipes, how the versatile humble pumpkin can be transformed into culinary masterpieces
This pasta recipe is made with pumpkin purée and mushrooms, making it reassuringly full of autumnal flavours and satisfyingly filling.
- 450g (16oz) uncooked pasta
- 400g (14oz) canned pumpkin purée
- 300g (10oz) portobello mushrooms sliced
- 300ml (10fl oz) coconut milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep non-stick frying pan sautée the chopped onion over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Lower the heat and add the canned pumpkin purée, coconut milk, cumin, coriander, turmeric and tomato purée. Stir continuously over a low-medium heat for around 5 minutes, until the sauce has started to thicken.
- Drain the cooked pasta and immediately add to the sauce, stir well to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in warmed pasta bowls and garnish with freshly chopped coriander if desired.