Continuing the trend of autumn comfort food, enjoy this heart-warming dessert
- 100g (3½ oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (1¾ oz) sugar
- 2 level tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sieved
- 50g (1¾ oz) chopped walnuts
- 50g (1¾ oz) melted butter
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- A few drops of vanilla essence
For the sauce:
- 150g (5½ oz) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sieved
- 150ml (¼ pint) boiling water
- Mix together the flour, sugar, walnuts and cocoa powder with the melted butter, milk and vanilla essence into a thick batter consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 1½ pint ovenproof dish.
- Make the sauce by mixing together the brown sugar, cocoa and boiling water and then pour this sauce over the batter.
- Bake in the oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for about 40 minutes. During cooking the sponge rises to the top, with the fudge base beneath.
Top Tip... Delicious served hot with a good dollop of vanilla ice cream!