This decadent cherry chocolate brownie recipe by Adele Trathan can be served as a delicious dessert, or perhaps made as a sweet treat that's perfect for Mother’s Day
- 175g (6oz) dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, chopped, plus extra to grease
- 300g (11oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- 1 (400g) tin of de-stoned cherries in syrup
For the Cheesecake layer
- 300g (11oz) low-fat cream cheese
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F fan, Gas 4). Line a 20 x 30cm tin with lightly greased baking parchment.
- To make the brownie, place the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and caster sugar for the brownie mix until pale and smooth, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one is added. Stir in the melted chocolate, then fold in the flour until well combined.
- Drain half of the tin of cherries, then slice them in half, and stir through the chocolate mix. Spread the brownie mixture into the lined tin and roughly level.
- In another bowl whisk together the cheesecake layer ingredients until smooth, then gently stir through the remaining cherries with some of the syrup. Spread it over the chocolate brownie mix and run a skewer or fork over to swirl the juice.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until firm. Set aside to cool completely then cut into squares. Perfect for a tasty sweet treat. The finished brownies can be store in an air-tight container for up to three days.